[Reprinted from Ocean Magnetic Observations, 1905-1916, and Reports on Special Researches. By L. A. Bauer, with W. J. Peters, J. A. Fleming, J. P. Ault, and W. F. G. Swann. Carnegie Institution of Washington Publication 175, vol. 3 (1917). Pages 11-12]

CRUISE II, MARCH TO OCTOBER 1906.

Plate 1
To settle the various matters pertaining to the continuation of the work and the proposed additional alterations in the ship and in the instruments, which were shown desirable by the experience of the first cruise, the Director made an inspection trip to the Galilee at San Diego, December 15 – 18, 1905. As all the members of the scientific personnel of the first cruise, excepting Observer J. P. Ault, were obliged to return to their duties with the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey at the expiration of their furloughs, it was necessary to reorganize the staff. W. J. Peters, who had been in charge of scientific exploring parties of the United States Geological Survey in Alaska, and had been second in command and in charge of the scientific work of the second Ziegler Polar Expedition (1903-1905), was intrusted [sic] with the command of the Galilee for the balance of her work (1906-1908). To him were assigned as assistants on the second cruise, Observers J. P. Ault and J. C. Pearson (formerly instructor in physics at Bowdoin College), and Dr. H. E. Martyn, surgeon and recorder. Alterations in the vessel, decided on by the Director, were made chiefly under the direction of J. F. Pratt, in command of first cruise, who also rendered the new commander the requisite assistance in the preparations for the second cruise. (See Plate 1, Fig. 3.)

The alterations, harbor swings, and shore observations having been completed, the Galilee left San Diego on March 2, 1906, and took a direct course for Fanning Island. A stay of 10 days from March 31 to April 10 was made at this port, during which time all necessary shore and swing observations were made at the stations occupied on the first cruise. The next stop was made at Pago Pago, Samoan Islands, from April 26 to May 1. On account of great local attraction, and from lack of tug facilities, no harbor swings or shore observations were made at this point. At Apia, Samoan Islands, May 3 to 9, comparisons were made between the Galilee instruments and those of the German Geophysical Observatory, then in charge of Dr. Franz Linke, to whose kindness and cooperation appreciative reference is made. The Apia Geophysical Observatory was originally established under the auspices of the Göttingen ''Königliche Akademie der Wissenschaften'' for the purpose of participating in the scientific program of the British and German Antarctic Expeditions of 1902-03. Later it was continued, at the solicitation of the Carnegie Institution of Washington, in order to furnish magnetic data desired in connection with the magnetic survey of the Pacific Ocean. Harbor swings were not made at Apia, owing to the lack of sufficient tug facilities and to the strong harbor currents.

At the next port, Suva, Fiji Islands, comparisons were made between the instruments of the ship and those used by G. Heimbrod, then in the employ of the Department as a temporary magnetic observer for the work on the islands of the South Pacific. Harbor swings were also made at Suva on May 18 and 20. Jaluit, of the Marshall Islands, was reached on June 21 and shore and harbor observations were made, inclusive of a vessel swing, after which a course was made for Guam on June 30. Between July 11 and 24, harbor swings and shore observations were made at San Luis d'Apra, Guam. Thence sail was set for Yokohama, Japan, where the expedition arrived on August 13.

At Yokohama numerous shore observations as well as harbor swings were made and, through the courtesy of Dr. K. Nakamura, in charge of the Central Meteorological Observatory of Tokio, and of Dr. A. Tanakadate, of the University of Tokio, comparisons with the observatory standards of Japan were secured. To both of these gentlemen, and to their assistants, grateful acknowledgment should be made.

On August 24 the Galilee dragged her anchors in a typhoon and was blown on the break water at Yokohama, and sank in 14 feet of water; as soon as possible she was dry-docked and the necessary repairs were made. Fortunately the damage was not very serious, and she was enabled to take up her work again on September 6, on which date the expedition left Yokohama for San Diego. Arriving at San Diego on October 19, she had thus terminated her second cruise in the Pacific Ocean and had covered on this cruise approximately 16,286 nautical miles. The closing shore observations were next made and the vessel was swung on October 22, 1906. Throughout the cruise magnetic observations were made as frequently as the weather and sea conditions permitted. For further information see abstract of log (pp. 143-146).



Copyright 2004,
Department of Terrestrial Magnetism,
Carnegie Instutition of Washington

All rights reserved.

Site created June 2004 by Kara Friend, Intern, for DTM.

Contact: library@dtm.ciw.edu
Home: www.ciw.edu/dtm/